~ Saint Charles Borromeo
As I examine that statement about charity I’m reminded of God’s ultimate charge of us, His people. To love God above all else and to love thy neighbor as ourselves because we love Him. “Charity is the theological virtue by which we love God.” (CCC1822). That’s powerful. And direct.
In Washington state alone there are over 50 pregnancy resource clinics, centers, and programs dedicated to the well-being and care of the men, women and children (born and unborn) that seek out assistance each and every day. Some centers focus on material goods (diapers, formula, clothes) while others are more medically geared offering evidence based ultrasounds, pregnancy testing, STI testing and treatment and still others offer well women health care on top of pregnancy and family ministry and still others are focused on maternity housing and better maternal outcomes as well as walking beside women and children up and beyond those first few years. Each ministry is essential and can’t work alone.
And that’s just Washington state! The latest numbers say there are well over 2000 pregnancy resource clinics and centers in the US. If you take a look at the monetary value of even a fraction of the work these organizations accomplish you’ll be blown away – and I hope – proud to know where your treasure lies.
- Nearly $151 million in ultrasound-related care (Year-to-Date Next Step Pregnancy performed over 300 ultrasound scans for expectant moms!)
- Over $75 million in parenting education programs
- An over $3 million investment into our nation’s youth, teaching sexual risk avoidance
These centers, like Next Step Pregnancy Services, also provided practical support of:
- Over $40 million in diapers (Next Step Pregnancy Services welcomed almost 5000 clients and client families in 2023 and the first month of the new year!)
- $6 million worth of baby formula
- Well over $7 million in new car seats, cribs, and strollers
Other services include:
- Abortion pill reversal (Next Step Pregnancy Services just started this service in September of last year!)
- STD testing and treatment (Next Step Pregnancy offers a full service STI clinic with trained and certified nurses)
- Abortion trauma recovery (Next Step Pregnancy Services partners with the likes of Healing Hearts, Project Rachel, and The Life Perspectives Institute to offer post-abortive support.)
These essential services totaled over $358 million in one twelve-month period! Think about that for a moment. That is the power of pro-life pregnancy center. The power of what you’ve helped create at Next Step Pregnancy Services here in Lynnwood, Washington.
And yet on October 13th, 2023 sixteen Attorney Generals joined together to produce and endorse an open letter denouncing Pregnancy Resource Clinics like Next Step. You can read the letter here if you are so inclined. http://tinyurl.com/October23Letter
“The hard truth is pro-life pregnancy centers impact the bottom line of the abortion industry. They are a competition that must be eliminated.” (Bradley Mattes is president of the Life Issues Institute.)
Meet the newest Next Step babies! Lola and her mother and Musa and his big sister!