Guerrilla Warfare? Hit-and-Run scare tactics designed to misrepresent places like Next Step Pregnancy Services (again….)
“Washington Must Hold Crisis Pregnancy Centers Accountable” is the latest headline from the “Progressive Newspaper” (and I use the term loosely) The Stranger.
(penned by UW students in a segment tagged guest rant from 11/25/2022)
Let’s clear a few things up and please – be a spreader of facts – not fiction.
- PRCs “divert clients from abortions by using coercive tactics and medical misinformation”
- Every client comes into our clinic of their own free will. Our services are posted clearly, truthfully, and without embellishment.
- The medical services we provide are legitimate procedures and tests performed by licensed medical professionals. Early diagnostic ultrasounds are used to determine viability and gestational age. End of. There is nothing false about that.
- They position themselves strategically to target the young and in low-income communities.
- Next Step Pregnancy Services is on the bus line and located conveniently in between the larger cities of Seattle and Everett. If strategic means ease of locale for those seeking care, then yes. Yes we do.
- The young and low-income? Unlike “the other guys” we do not position ourselves directly inside schools of young kids. Additionally unlike “the other guys” we do offer free services and supplies because we recognize that having children and being pregnant can be an expensive time and we are here to help ease some of that inevitable financial strain.
- PRCs are a “potential health threat because they delay clients from receiving prenatal care” and “intentionally lie to clients by incorrectly reporting their gestational age”.
- To be honest is this “claim” worth even responding to? In 2022 alone Next Step medical professionals performed over 300 diagnostic ultrasounds and referred a similar amount to local Ob-gyns for further care. Almost 90% were first trimester (0-13 weeks). 80% of those clients intended to carry with the rest undecided and overwhelmed. As we all felt at one time or another didn’t we?
- So many of the women coming into PRCs are simply there to obtain gestational age or to check on their pregnancy due to a history of previous miscarriage. They just need reassurance. We can do that. We do that.
- “Most PRCs are affiliated and funded by evangelical Christian anti-abortion organizations and are increasingly funded by state and federal grants.”
- That last one is laughable. Funded by Washington State? Next Step Pregnancy Services is not affiliated with any particular church or religious organization. We are an independent 501(c)3 funded by independent organizations and free individuals (like you!) . Next Step has never, nor will we ever, accept state or federal funding.
- The fact that Next Step is filled with Christ-Centered staff and volunteers is purely a coincidence…..the protection of life and the vulnerable is an obvious by product of being a follower of Christ. Go figure.